This high rate proves the need for bringing awareness to mental health problems. Therefore, it is essential to observe “World Mental Health Day”.
What is World Mental Health Day?
World Mental Health Day falls on October 10th every year. It originated in 1992 as an activity to promote mental health. Over the years, World Mental Health Day has grown into more than just a day of dedication. Each year has a specific theme that provides education to the public and encourages people to seek help.
What is New for 2021?
It has been more than 18 months since the COVID-19 pandemic first made its presence known in our world. Although certain things are beginning to return to something similar to “normal”, this pandemic has had a major impact on every single individual. People have been forced to stay away from family, friends, and everything special.
Besides impacting physical health, this pandemic has had a terribly negative effect on mental health. Indeed, healthcare workers, students, people living alone, and individuals with pre-existing mental health conditions have seen astonishing rises in depression and similar conditions. As a result, cases of drug misuse disorders have increased as well.
This Year’s Campaign Slogan
“Mental health care for all: let’s make it a reality” is the 2021 campaign slogan. By all means, this was chosen as a reaction to the dire state of the mental health community. However, this day is meant to bring optimism to the situation!
By recognizing a need for quality mental health services across all segments of the population, more and more people will receive the help that is necessary. Indeed, this year will explain the steps being taken around the world to bring better care to all. Also, positive stories will be told to inspire others who are facing these challenges.
There is no better time than right now to erase the stigma that surrounds the topic of mental illness. World Mental Health Day 2021 is here to help bring about this necessary and game-changing shift.
Mental Health Care for All
Unfortunately, not all groups have had access to quality mental health care. Markedly, some countries do not have the resources to provide help. Also, certain ethnic and racial groups have a higher likelihood of suffering from mental illness. For example, some ethnic groups are more likely to suffer from anxiety and depression compared to people of other ethnicities. Also, some members of the LGBTQ+ community may be at a higher risk of attempting suicide. Therefore, this celebration of mental health awareness takes on even greater importance.
How People Can Help Raise Awareness About Mental Health
Raising awareness about mental health can happen in a number of ways. It is vital to start conversations within local communities. Although mental illness isn’t exactly a rarity in our world, few individuals choose to have public discussions about it. It is essential to share success stories and to educate people. There are many ways to spread the word.
- Talk with everyone. No one fully knows the demons that other people face. In fact, the most depressed individuals often put on the bravest faces in public. If a person realizes that there are others who care about his or her well-being, it goes a long way to prevent suicide and other negative consequences.
- Share personal experiences. If a person struggles with mental illness, it is important for him or her to share his or her story. When another person knows that he or she is not alone, seeking treatment and support will become much easier.
- Use kind words. When speaking about mental illness, a person should always use kind words. Also, it is key to separate the person from his or her symptoms.
How People Can Participate in World Mental Health Day
There are many ways that a person can bring awareness to mental health during the celebration.
- Coordinate a mental health screening. By creating and promoting an event that has to do with mental illness, you can help bring attention to the issues. Also, encouraging people to take action and to test their mental health can provide an opportunity to receive necessary support and treatment.
- Become a volunteer. In fact, there are numerous organizations, including the National Alliance on Mental Illness, that are always in need of volunteers. When a person gives his or her time to a worthy organization, it helps to spread the word, to educate individuals, and to encourage people who need assistance to seek help.
Surely, World Mental Health Day is the ideal time to begin talking to people about common illnesses like anxiety and depression. To emphasize, one person can make a difference in the life of someone else. Mental illness often feels like a trap. Understanding that there are places that offer help may bring great relief.
For example, North Jersey Recovery Center in Fair Lawn is one facility that is available to offer assistance to people who struggle with mental illness and abuse problems. We celebrate Mental Health Day more than once a year. If you or a loved one needs help, contact us today. We are ready and willing to offer the support and guidance our clients need to improve their mental health and help them fight addiction!